Be Prepared for Everything: Best Fire Starter Reviews
Fire has been an essential part of human civilization and existence from time immemorial. Irrespective of the type of outdoor activity you enjoy, camping with family and friends, exploring the wilderness or backpacking along the mountain trail, starting a fire can be one of the most challenging tasks. The best fire starter can enable you to complete this task without any kind of difficulty.
When going on backpacking and camping trips, it is always advisable to carry a fire starter with you, as you never know when you will need the comfort of a good fire. It doesn’t take long for good and sunny weather to turn wet and damp.
If you have no means a lighting a fire when you go on a forest or mountain trail, you might end up having a lot of problems. A good fire can help keep you warm and scare animals if any in the camping area. Read survival fire starter reviews before making the choice.
- What is the Best Fire Starter Available in the Market?
- Epiphany Outdoor Gear Fire Starting Kit
- Bush Craft Essentials Fire Piston
- Ezyoutdoor Magnesium Fire Starter
- Swedish FireSteel Army Fire Starter
- Ultimate Survival Technologies Blast Match Fire Starter
- Exotac Nanostriker XL Fire Starter
- Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter
- Aurora Fire Starter
- Boker Plus Fire Starter
- Magnesium Alloy Emergency Fire Starter Blocks
- UST StrikeForce Fire Starter
- Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best Fire Starter
- Different Types of Fire Starters
- How to Choose the Best Fire Starter?
What is the Best Fire Starter Available in the Market?
Epiphany Outdoor Gear Fire Starting Kit
If you are strapped for time and need a pre-prepared tinder, you can opt for Epiphany Outdoor Gear Fire Starting Kit. The simple kit is lightweight and contains all essentials that you need to start a fire quickly. One of the convenient feature of this kit is that it includes a waterproof container with tinder fuses.
The best aspect about this kit is that it is weatherproof. This enables you to start a fire in any kind of wet climate. The tinder holds a flame that give you enough time to start a fire. It also includes fire steel and steel striker.
- It is lightweight and sturdy.
- Waterproof feature enables it to start a fire even in wet climatic conditions.
- Starts fast.
- The fire fuses are small and you will not be able to make a fire without gathering other tinder.
The fire starter kit can be used at home for the fireplace, BBQs and firepits. It is advisable to keep your face away from the fire when adding oxygen.
Bush Craft Essentials Fire Piston
The Bush Craft Essentials Fire Piston is a device that can be used to start a fire for outdoor camping and hunting. The fire piston comes with a waterproof compartment that can be used to store tinder.
The fire piston is available with replacement gaskets. The gaskets are made of high quality nitrile rubber. This makes them sturdy and resistant to abrasion, cold and heat. They are compatible with all types of lubricants.
Even though it is quite easy to start a fire with this piston, you will still need to know how to build a fire. This can be tricky for beginners who have not used a fire starter earlier.
- The fire starter unit is made of high quality materials and this makes it extremely durable.
- The waterproof compartment makes it easy to keep the tinder dry in all types of weather.
- The fire piston is bigger than usual.
- The O rings need to be fabricated initially.
- You need to have knowledge about starting and building a fire before using it.
The fire starter kit includes fire piston, ferrocerium rod, char cord, replacement gaskets and instructions. The fire piston is completely waterproof for tinder storage. The kit provides a fascinating way to make a fire.
Ezyoutdoor Magnesium Fire Starter
If you are looking for an inexpensive fire starter kit then the Ezyoutdoor Magnesium Fire Starter is a good and correct choice. It is great both for backpacking and camping. The scraper is iron and flint is made of magnesium.
The magnesium stick is the basic flint material that is used to start the fire. Magnesium has high combustion temperature and this is the reason it is used in most fire starter kits.
The kit is waterproof and this makes it a reliable choice in wet and damp conditions. The fire starter is small and lightweight and can easily fit in a backpack.
- The fire starter kit is of great quality.
- It is easy to use.
- Some users may not find the appearance too attractive.
If you are looking for a lightweight option then this fire starter kit is an ideal choice.
Swedish FireSteel Army Fire Starter
The Swedish FireSteel Army Fire Starter is the best flint and steel kit that you can choose. It provides an amazing 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit that can make the dry tinder go up in flames within minutes.
All that you need to do is to scrap the length of the fire rod towards the tinder and you will be amazed at how quickly you will be able to start the fire. The unique aspect about this best flint and steel fire starter is its design.
It has no moving parts and is completely waterproof. This means that it works without fail in damp conditions. The fire starter lasts for 12,000 strikes and it takes just a couple of strikes to get the fire started.
- The fire starter kit is of great quality and is budget friendly.
- It is waterproof and this enables you to start the fire in wet and damp camping environment.
- The ferrocerium rod is susceptible to corrosion.
- You will need tinder to start the fire.
The fire starter kit is not easy to use but also affordable. This is one of the best tools that you need when you go outdoors.
Ultimate Survival Technologies Blast Match Fire Starter
The Ultimate Survival Technologies Blast Match Fire Starter has a unique design that can enable you to operate it easily with just one hand. This is a convenient feature. It generates more heat than that of a standard match and has been designed for use in all types of weather conditions.
The compact size of the kit enables you to carry it easily on every outdoor adventure. The fire starter contains a spring that fully extends the steel before you squeeze the scraper. This applies pressure on the ferrocerium rod causing a spark that can be used to light the fire.
It weighs just 2.7 ounces and this makes it light enough for you to carry in your backpack. The part that contains the striker is made of ABS plastic. You don’t have to worry about the plastic melting as it has a high resistance to heat.
The striker can undergo 4,000 strikes. You will be able to rotate the striker by 360 degrees and this means that wear and tear is evenly distributed across the striker. You can choose to target the sparks in any direction you want.
- Protective locks prevent accidental sparks.
- Sparks can be targeted in any direction.
- Lights everything from camp fires to propane grills and camp stoves.
- It is durable and can withstand impact.
- At times, it can be difficult to operate the catch using just one hand
- You need a solid surface to strike the match.
The fire starter works in rain and other adverse weather conditions making it a must have during your outdoor adventures.
Exotac Nanostriker XL Fire Starter
The Exotac Nanostriker XL Fire Starter is a compact and portable fire starter that is ideal for your backpacking and camping trips. You can carry it easily in your backpack as it doesn’t add extra weight.
The fire rod is replaceable and contains both ferrocerium and magnesium. When these two are used together you will be able to start a fire in cold and damp camping environments.
The ferrocerium rod when scraped against another metal produces a big spark that can burn over 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit. The striker is made of tungsten carbide and this is twice as hard as steel.
Even though the fire starter is waterproof you need to keep it in the best condition to prevent corrosion from air. The ferrocerium rod can be easily replaced and it can provide 3,000 strikes. The aluminium body keeps it lightweight.
- The rod design delivers long lasting sparks even when the conditions are wet and damp.
- The small size makes it easy to store in a backpack or pocket.
- The fire starter kit includes a lanyard, split ring for carrying keys and extra set of O rings. Instruction manual on how to light a fire is also provided.
- The ferrocerium rod can easily rust if it is not stored in an airtight container.
- Some users may find the starter to be a bit too small.
- The tiny handle can make it difficult for people with large hands to hold it properly.
The fire starter can be used to effectively light BBQs, alcohol stoves, fuel tablets and light gas stoves.
Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter
The Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter is waterproof and self-contained. It includes a ferrocerium rod and metal striker. A waterproof compartment is provided along with the kit for storing tinder and keeping it dry.
The lanyard that comes along with the fire starter has a whistle and pocket survival guide. The guide provides information on different types of survival basics that can used during camping. The durable tool can be quite handy during backpacking expeditions in the wild outdoors.
- The design is great. It is not too small or large and doesn’t take much of room in your backpack.
- The striker and rod are enclosed in durable plastic container and this keeps everything together and ensures that the parts don’t get wet.
- The lanyard keeps the two pieces from getting separated.
- The rubber gasket that seals part of the cylinder can fall off and cause inconvenience.
- The lanyard is short. You may not be able to use the starter kit properly with the lanyard attached to it.
It is one of the best emergency fire starter as it can help ignite an emergency fire immediately. It can provide the spark for more than 8,000 strikes. You can use it to start a fire even in wet and damp conditions.
Aurora Fire Starter
The Aurora Fire Starter has a very interesting design. The main unit is contained in a small aluminium cylinder and you need to unscrew it to get access to the spark producing rod. The striker is also found within the cylinder. The cylinder is made of lightweight aluminium and the rod can be used as knife sharpener.
The ferrocerium rod has magnesium and this means that the sparks that are produced last longer than usual. The aluminium case and handle provide a good grip and weighs only 1.6 ounces.
- The good grip makes it easy to use.
- Strong construction can help withstand impact.
- The added magnesium can make the rod very hard and difficult to strike.
- Making sparks in a controlled manner can be difficult.
The best aspect about this fire starter kit is the huge and intense sparks that it can produce. This can enable you to start a fire easily even in wet conditions.
Boker Plus Fire Starter
The Boker Plus Fire Starter includes a slip resistant aluminium container with 4.75-inch blade. The sturdy built and construction makes it withstand impact even when it accidentally falls on the ground.
The unit has a built-in compass and the checkered design pattern gives you a better grip and hold even in wet conditions. The metal striker enables you to scrap off the chips on the magnesium rods for an intense shower of sparks.
The magnesium rod produces good flames that fall into the tinder and this improves the quality of the fire. It comes with a ball chain but you can choose to replace it with a more reliable cord for carrying the fire starter kit.
- The magnesium rod produces a lot of flakes and this enables you to start a quality fire easily.
- The good grip makes it easy to use.
- Strong construction can help withstand impact.
- As the unit comes with more than one piece it can be difficult to wear and handle.
- The starter kit can take time to start.
- Beginners may find it difficult to start a fire.
The fire starter kit is an ideal choice for intermediate and experienced campers and survivalists.
Magnesium Alloy Emergency Fire Starter Blocks
The Magnesium Alloy Emergency Fire Starter Blocks are made from magnesium and work well in all types of conditions. It is one of the best magnesium fire starter available in the market.
The fire unit comes with a flint block and three solid magnesium alloys. This can enable you to start the fire within minutes. The serrated metal striker saws that come with this unit means that you don’t have to carry separate blades.
The fire starter blocks have 17.5 inches of chain length and this can be used for easy access. This fire starter is a valuable tool and can be a great addition to your other camping survival kit.
- The three individual pack starters ensure that you have one ready for any kind of situation. This means that you will not have trouble starting the fire.
- Budget friendly and easy to use.
- Waterproof feature ensures that it works well even in wet conditions.
- The starter unit includes long chain and this means that you don’t lost the different pieces and you have plenty of room to work with and start a fire.
- It comes with lifetime warranty.
- It can take some time to shave off enough magnesium that will be needed to start a good fire.
- The fire unit can have trouble working efficiently if the magnesium is wet.
One of the important things that you need to consider when choosing a magnesium based fire starter is how long does the magnesium fire starter last. The longer a fire starter unit lasts the better the chances of starting a fire quickly. The magnesium fire starter review can enable you to make a good choice.
UST StrikeForce Fire Starter
The UST StrikeForce Fire Starter is easy to operate and this has helped it become the preferred choice of campers. You don’t need any kind of manual to start using it. The patented flint bar and tungsten carbide striker can help produce targeted sparks even in wet and damp conditions easily.
- The waterproof protective cover locks in place and this helps prevent any kind of accidental spark.
- The strong construction of the fire starter unit can help withstand impact.
- The rotating bar ensures that the wear and tear is even in the unit.
- It creates a nice big spark and this means that you will be able to start a fire within minutes.
- The targeted sparks can help produce a fire even in unfavourable conditions.
- It is a little bit expensive.
- The plastic components can be a big issue and this means that it can easily get damaged if you don’t handle it carefully.
One of the biggest benefit of choosing this fire starter is that you will be able to use it with just one hand and this can provide a lot of convenience.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best Fire Starter
There are many things that you need to consider when choosing the best fire starter. Size, material, how long it burns and price are all factors that you need to think about before making the choice.
One of the first things that you need to pay attention to when choosing the best fire starter tool is the size. You don’t want something that takes too much of space. Good fire starters are not just compact but also lightweight. They should be able to fit easily in your backpack.
Most types of fire starters are in the range of 3 – 6 inches. Remember that you need a fire starter that is large enough to do the job for you. You don’t something so small that you end up trying to nurse a fire for hours. This means that it doesn’t have to be large or small enough but just the right size to start a fire whenever you want.
The best fire starter is something that can be easily carried around. The last thing that you need when you are going on a backpacking or camping trip is to carry something big that adds to the overall weight of your backpack.
Period of Burning
Even though size and durability are important, burn time also needs to be given importance. Fire starters that are highly flammable speed up the process of starting the fire. If you choose wisely you will be able to enjoy a crackling fire within minutes.
The process of starting a fire using coal, charcoal or wet wood can be painstakingly slow. It can take forever to start the process. You will want something that is going to work for at least a few times (for about 10 – 30 minutes), otherwise it is not going to be much of help to you.
The most reliable fire starter kits provide a persistent flame that can speed up the entire process of lighting a fire. The fire starter kit needs to burn enough, so that you can have a well-established fire.
The material that is used to create fire is flint. This is a material that burns at high temperature. You can choose one that is made of either magnesium or ferrocerium.
Ferrocerium works best when it is struck with a piece of steel. The small shavings are removed from it quickly and this ignites the fire when they oxidize. The sparks that you see are pieces of burning metal.
The sparks that are produced are hotter than 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Magnesium creates sparks that can burn at a high temperature and this enables you to start a fire easily.
The fire starter kits that were available earlier used to produce a bad odor as they were made with fire inducing chemicals. The fire starters that are available in the market nowadays are odorless. Avoid choosing kits that use noxious chemicals. It is best to choose a starter that uses flammable material to start the fire.
Wind and Waterproof
The starter kit that you choose needs to work well even in extreme weather conditions like high wind and rain. If it is put off immediately, it will be of no use to you. If the fire starter unit is waterproof, you will be able to start a good fire in wet and damp conditions too.
One of the important things that you need to consider is the price of the unit. Avoid buying something too cheap or costly. Find a unit that fits your budget and fulfils your specific requirements.
The price can vary depending on the type of features you want in the unit. If you want a starter unit with more features, you will have to pay more.
Different Types of Fire Starters
There are different types of best survival fire starter kits available in the market. It is advisable to gain knowledge about them so that you can make the choice as per your specific requirements.
- Magnesium Blocks – The blocks are shaved to create small piles of magnesium and this will help the fire start quickly, as they are hit with a shower of sparks. Most fire starter units are available with flints or some other method that can cause sparks.
- Ferrocerium Rods – They are popularly known as flint. The rods are designed to create sparks when they are struck with a serrated piece of steel or with a blade.
- Fuel Tablets – The fuel tablets can be used along with flint and magnesium to get a fire started even in wet conditions.
- Waterproof Matches – They can be a great alternative or backup source that is used to create fire. These matches work perfectly even in damp conditions.
How to Choose the Best Fire Starter?
Even though there are hundreds of fire starters available in the market, you need to choose wisely. It is advisable to read reviews of the best fire starters, so that you can make an informed choice. If you are an outdoor enthusiast and love going on backpacking and camping trips then a good fire starter is a must have in your backpack.
Ease of Use
One of the first and most important things that you need to consider when choosing the fire starter unit is ease of use. The kit should be such that anyone will be able to use it without having to read any instructions. All that you will need to do is to strike the rod to create a spark.
If it requires a lot of effort to learn the process of using a fire starter then it doesn’t serve any purpose. Always choose models that are easy to operate so that you can start a fire in any type of conditions within minutes.
Life of the Fire Starter
Most fire starters can last from a 1000 – 15,000 strikes. Even though there is expiry date for the starter unit the lifespan will depend a lot on your usage. The striker rod that is made of ferrocerium and magnesium is susceptible to corrosion and you need to ensure that they are stored properly.
If the rod gets brittle it will not be able to produce enough sparks to produce a good fire. You may have to spend a lot of time and effort to start a fire in such circumstances.
A good quality fire starter unit will always come enclosed in a waterproof container. This helps prevent corrosion. It is important that you store the unit in this container immediately after use to enable it to last a long time.
One of the important things that you need to remember is that the striking rod in a magnesium block fire starter can get used by pretty fast than just a magnesium block. The striking rod cannot be replaced and you will need a spare rod to ensure that the fire starter unit works as good as new.
Weight of the Fire Starter
Even though most fire starters don’t weigh much, most serious campers are always looking for ways to reduce the weight that they carry on their trips. For experienced campers, the weight of the fire starter can be a major consideration.
Depending on the size of the rods the weight can vary. A slightly heavy fire starter with a sturdy construction is a better investment than a lightweight unit that breaks easily. You need to choose wisely depending on your specific requirements and budget.
It is always advisable to choose a fire starter with extra features. This can prove beneficial when you are camping. There are many units that come equipped with compass and whistle for emergency purposes. You do need to remember that any unit that comes with extra features can cost you more.
The fire starter unit that you choose needs to work in all types of weather conditions. If it works well in dry and sunny conditions and doesn’t work its magic in wet conditions, you need to avoid buying such unit. The best fire starters work in all types of weather conditions.
The fire starter is one of the best survival tools that you need to carry on any kind of outdoor trip, as you never know when you will need a fire. Choosing the best fire starter is not difficult if you know what to look for. Read reviews if you are a beginner. This can help you make a good choice.